Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars Series #1)

Pretty Little Liars  - Sara Shepard Actual Rating: 3.5/5The cover:I like this cover. It suits the story better than the new cover featuring the TV Show’s actresses as the characters because they simply don’t fit the descriptions of the girls in the story. Also, I think the best covers are the Australian ones, their covers for the series are simply beautiful *_* (except they don’t have a cover for this particular book –the first one in the series-!).The storyline:Okay. I had the most fortunate and unfortunate luck to start watching the TV Show based on this series before starting the books. It was both good and bad. Good because I knew what to expect from the book and was thrilled to find more details and twists that are not available in the show. Bad because I was spoiled most of the book, I kind of knew what was going to happen. And also because the characters in the book aren’t like the ones in the TV show.However, I’m reviewing the book objectively as if I haven’t watched the show. So this is my honest review of the book separately.Summary:For those of you who have never watched the show or heard of it (like me less than 2 weeks ago…), here’s a short spoiler free summary for you :).This book is about five best friends Alison, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer. They’ve been best friends for sometime now and it’s the end of seventh grade. They’re now having a sleepover at the night to celebrate the beginning of summer vacation, however, Ali disappears that night.The book starts by explaining what happened the day Ali disappears, but then picks up three years later with the girls getting ready for Junior year. They’re no longer talking to each other and are living separate lives although they are still in the same small-town of Rosewood. It gives us a glimpse to what happened to each girl separately and how they’ve been dealing with Ali’s disappearance. And throughout the story, we get to know more about each character’s relationship with Ali and what secrets she had on them. How they’ve been living and what’s up with them now.Then suddenly, Spencer, Emily, Hanna and Aria start receiving anonymous text messages about past secrets that only Ali knew about and new ones that no one knows about.At the end of the book, the girls try to bond back together.What I liked:- The storyline itself is very unique and compelling.- It is full of mystery, sadness, twists, scary moments, thriller, loss and heartbreak.- The girls’ friendship is very unique. They had each other and all of a sudden it was taken away from them. We all could relate to that.- I loved the fact that each chapter is told about a different characters. It is mostly in this order: Emily, Spencer, Hanna then Aria. But it changes a bit at the end.- There’s no specific narrator. The author tells you the story as she sees it.- It deals with real high school problems.- “A”! I love “A” as crazy as it sounds!!