Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)

Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2) - Gemma Halliday The cover:It is gorgeous, isn’t it? This series has one of the most beautiful covers with meaning related to the storylines :).The storyline:I have been dying to get my hands of this sequel to Deadly Cool for a long time now. After reading the first book and then reading the sneak peek, I was craving for the rest.This story is set two months after the events in Deadly Cool.To summarize what happened without spoiling things (much..) here’s what’s going on:So, after the murders at Herbert Hoover High, Hartley Featherstone became a writer at the HHH Homepage. When their Homecoming Queen-hopeful, Sydney Sanders, cheats in a test, she gets suspended and banned from going to the dance. While this stared all types of gossip, Hartley saw it as a great story for the school paper, trying to get Sydney to tell her how she got the answers to the test.When Sydney is found dead, by Hartley again, in her pool at home while she was tweeting, everyone is sure that she committed suicide by taking her laptop with her into the water while it was plugged.Unfortunately, Hartley is not convinced that it is suicide, and soon enough, finds evidence that proves Sydney wasn’t intending to suicide, which means it wasn’t a suicide but a homicide which Sam calls Twittercide (I love this word!).From this point on, things get more and more complicated and we find twists and mixed signals between Hartley and Chase.And of course, the ending was epic! Yes, Hartley almost got herself killed, again! And no, it wasn’t Chase who saved her ;).What I loved:- The writing is very good.- The storyline was somewhat mysterious, twisted and realistic.- The characters were all likable.- The romance between Chase and Hartley wasn’t rushed. Everything was (and still is) going slowly. So Hartley isn’t making any stupid fast decisions.- There were a lot of funny moments where I had to read the passages over and over because they were funny and I had to get the full meaning sync in.- The pace was good.- Sam’s creation of amazing words to replace swearing is just phenomenal!! I couldn’t stop grinning each time I found “Holy fluffin’ fudge!”.What I disliked:- Hartley’s personality is somewhat different from the first book. She kept acting in a stupid way and repeating “Dude” a lot, which is not cool! (to me that is).- The story in some passages of the middle chapters was blank. I was not moved at all.- The mystery in Social Suicide wasn’t that hard to solve in my opinion. I was actually able to pinpoint the killer from chapter 6. Don’t get me wrong, I love being correct, but I love it when the twists and mystery are too much complicated that it makes it harder for the reader to have a clue.The characters:- Hartley is the female protagonist. She’s somewhat smart and brave. She can’t hide her feelings and usually goes directly to the point. She has crash on Chase, who’s the school paper editor although she’s not sure it is a crush and keeps convincing herself that it is nothing.- Chase is the male protagonist (I think). He’s strong, good looking and mysterious. He rarely smiles and almost never compliments Hartley. He takes he’s job at the school paper very seriously.- Samantha a.k.a Sam is Hartley’s best friend and her number one fan and supporter. She helps Hartley throughout the story and I love how we get to know her more in this sequel and see her other sides and obsession for making Hartley her dressing doll ;).- Kyle is Sam’s boyfriend. I wasn’t expecting much from him but he turned out to be very nice! He’s most known for spreading rumors but in this sequel we see that he’s ready to do anything for his friends (Chase and Hartley) and girlfriend.There are other main characters in this story who are: Mr. Tipkins, the Math teacher. Connor, Sydney’s boyfriend a.k.a ex-boyfriend. Quinn, Sydney’s ex-BFF. Chris, a team member at the school paper. Nicky whom you’ll need to find out who he is and others.Favorite quotes:The amazing opening:YOU HAD TO BE INCREDIBLY STUPID TO GET CAUGHT cheating in Mr. Tipkins’s class, but then again, Sydney Sanders was known for being the only brunette blonder than Paris Hilton. --- Chapter 1.Sam’s eyes got all big and round. “She went in the pool,” she finished for me. “Ohmigod. She was killed while tweeting. It was Twittercide!” --- Chapter 3.“One crack about the tiara and you’re a dead man,” I warned him. He put up his hands in a surrender motion. “I wouldn’t dream of it, princess.” I shot him a death look… --- Chapter 20.Conclusion:This book was hilarious. It made me laugh, think, get scared and even be sad. I was somewhat disappointed but not very much.If you enjoy contemporary reads with less romance, more mystery and twists all about a murder, then this book is for you.