The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)

The Pledge  - Kimberly Derting What I loved:From the beginning, I was intrigued by the world and the characters Kimberly created. There wasn’t a single familiar thing about them.The story itself is unique and interesting with a world were people are classed and each class has her own language and they’re forbidden from speaking others’ languages. And I thought it was pretty amazing how things developed.Having chapters with particular characters’ points of views was great. It didn’t occur every chapter but only when we needed to know what the other character, that Charlaina was dealing with, was thinking. They were accurate and in the right place at the right time.The characters were unique and distinct. Each time Charlaina described who she was talking to or seeing, you could know exactly who he/she was. Even Sabara was unique and intriguing.Unlike other readers of this book, I found that the ending had an opening for a sequel. It was good not great but it left me hoping for what to come. Oh, and the sequel, The Essence, is just a fitting title for the next one Winking smile.What I disliked:What I do agree on with some other readers however, is that Max’s character felt like it had to be there for Charlaina to have a love interest. It wasn’t a bad thing but I would’ve loved to see Max earn his place in her heart and do other things in the story rather then just always be around Charlaina pledging and protecting her. To me, he didn’t play an important role at all. Xander was much better…Conclusion:This is one amazing first book. I can’t wait until The Essence is out next year!!I recommend you go check it out if you’re into dystopian novels and unique stories.