Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher The cover:This cover says a lot. You may not notice it at first, but when you finish the book, you’ll keep looking at it like it could speak to you.The storyline:First, this book is the first one I read by Jay Asher, his newest works The Future of Us is already out and I have it, now I can’t wait to read it!!This book has an amazing writing style. Each sentence, I felt like I knew Hannah, the first main protagonist, and Clay, the second main protagonist.The story is told when Clay gets the tapes and starts listening to them. From that second, the story becomes intense and you won’t be able to put the book down.Why I went for the audiobook:I started reading the e-book first. I was totally engrossed in the story, but then, there’s this duel narrative -- alternating between the girl’s voice and the thoughts of the boy who is listening, so I couldn’t really keep up with both of them. I listened to a sample on Amazon’s website and that’s when I decided that I needed to have the audiobook instead. I LOVE the audiobook, the way it is narrated is amazing and simple.What I loved:The story was amazing despite the sadness in it.It is realistic which is enough for me :).The writing style really impressed me, this was a first for me to read a book with two people speaking in it :’).The main characters, Clay and Hannah.The environment, the description. It was all good :).The twists, the dialogues and the mystery. It was like a puzzle needing to be solved.The ending was kind of good and bad at the same time. The last cassette was too intense and hard for me to read. Hannah was at her worst and I wished the story had a fiction side to it. But, life is all about realities and we can’t change them. Hard but true.What I hated:Nothing!!!The characters:Hannah is the poor girl who’s life was ruined in the new city by those rude people in her new school. Although I didn’t think she had the right reasons for suicide and that she was a bit too sensitive, I still liked her. There were some questions she didn’t answer which left a big question mark at the end.Clay is so nice. While reading the book, I thought of Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door. He’s sensitive and strong. That’s probably a part of why Hannah was in love with him…The rest of people mentioned in the book, including Justin, are insensitive, rude and unbelievable people. These people represent the real world, how cruel and unforgivable it is. They were taking advantage of her, using her and then acting like nothing happened.Conclusion:An amazing read that’ll make you think about your everyday actions and their consequences. It’s an emotional read which is hard to go thru. That’s why we like to escape by reading fantasy and fiction, but some realistic reads are needed to keep us anchored to our reality.I recommend this book if you liked Living Dead Girl. There’s no other book that I can think of that resembles it more than this one :). Also, I don’t recommend it for younger readers, it has some ideas and a small inappropriate scene that young people shouldn’t be exposed to.