The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)

The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) - Kody Keplinger The cover:It is simple and it says a lot about the main protagonist.The storyline:This is where things get sad, ugly, horrific, humiliating and at last happy and fun.This book is unique in so many different ways. It was hard for me to finish it not because it was bad but because it told the truth, and the truth always hurt.At first, I didn’t like the book, I had no idea who Bianca was and it all started with her kissing Wesley and suddenly they started sleeping together, and as one who hates this type of books, I almost stopped reading it. Then the good/sad part came along and it was hard to both read through it and to fight against the urge to finish it.Kody did a great job describing how some peoples’ lives are totally messed up and how they go through it and why they do what they do to be distracted from their lives. She used a lot of cursing words, and a lot of inappropriate scenes but all what she described is true and happens in our real lives but everyone is too scared to admit it.The ending was perfect in every possible way.The characters:Bianca is your typical not-popular girl. Believe it or not, but I know that every girl in us (girls) has her version of Bianca, whether you’re a Duff, a player, a geek or a cheerleader. I respect her for many reasons.Wesley is awesome. Simple. He knows what he wants and he’s not ashamed of it. When he knew that he needed to stop and go after Bianca, he did. I like this about him.Jessica and Casey are every girl’s dream of best friends or BFFs. They are awesome friends and they stood up for Bianca and helped her with all the tragedy in her life. And they’re super funny and cute!My favorite quotes:This is a new section in my review in which I’ll highlight my favorite quotes throughout the book .“And my name isn’t Duffy. It’s Bianca. We’ve been in the same homeroom since middle school, you self-absorbed son of a bitch.” Bianca to Wesley – Chapter 1“Oh, come on,” I fumed. “The guy is a man-whore. I can’t stand him. He sleeps with everything that moves, and his brain is located in his pants—which means it’s microscopic.” Bianca to Casey – Chapter 1After thinking about it for a while, I decided that there were a lot of benefits to being the Duff. Benefit one: no point in worrying about your hair or makeup. Benefit two: no pressure to act cool—you’re not the one being watched. Benefit three: no boy drama. I figured out benefit three while we were watching Atonement in Jessica’s bedroom. In the movie, poor Keira Knightley has to go through all of this damn tragedy with James McAvoy, but if she’d been unattractive, he never would have looked at her. She wouldn’t have gotten her heart broken. After all, everybody knows the “it’s better to have loved and lost…” spiel is a load of crap – Chapter 7The game was over. The Panthers had won. And I was still the Duff. -- Chapter 12Oh God! I thought, realizing what that twinge in my gut must mean. Oh God, I’m jealous. I’m seriously f***ing jealous! Oh, shit – Chapter 16“No!” I shouted, spinning around to face her. “No, no, no! I do not love him, okay? Love is rare and hard to find and takes years upon years to develop. Teenagers don’t fall in love. I don’t love Wesley.” Bianca to Casey – Chapter 19Then the inevitable happened. I thought of the douche bag. The playboy. The womanizer. The one person who could ruin this moment for me. Yes, I had a crush on Toby Tucker. How could I not? He was sweet and charming and smart… but my feelings for Wesley were way beyond that. I’d skipped the crush kiddie pool and jumped right into the deep, shark-infested ocean of emotions. And, if you’ll forgive the dramatic metaphor, I was a lousy swimmer. -- Chapter 21Confused, I unfolded the paper and read the single sentence that was scrawled across the top. “Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, but I’m chasing you.” – Chapter 24p.s.: I know you’re rolling your eyes right now, but I don’t care. Honestly, it’s always been kind of a turn-on. Wesley in his letter to Bianca. – Chapter 25Note to self, I thought. Murder Jessica when there are no witnesses. – Chapter 27Conclusion:This book is so realistic and fun to read. Once you start it you won’t be able to put it down.I’ll give it 4 stars and put it as a favorite. I loved it!!!